Friday, May 2, 2008

You know you live in TX when ...

... the annual Young Life fundraiser is a skeet shooting tournament.  But I LOVE Young Life ... love what they do, love the people, love the mission -- so of course, I agreed to participate.  Who do I think I am, Annie Oakley? 

The first time I shot a gun was 2 weeks ago. (Which is very un-Texan, apparently.)  The bruise on my cheek lasted until a few days ago.  But that didn't hinder me, or my team ... we were out there today in full force, with our team t-shirts on!  (They read, "Don't make momma mad" on the front, with our names on the back.)

The BBQ lunch with a Country/Western band providing atmosphere was great.   The fellowship with my friends was priceless.  And we even had fun shooting us some skeet ... Tara 'took one for the team' when she accidentally got her finger caught in the gun while loading the 20-gauge, slicing it open.  Other that that mishap, fun times by all.  But, wow -- it still stresses me out to load that gun!

Did I mention that I led our team with 17 points?  And we didn't even finish the entire course ...We had 4 more stations to go (OK, so our team most likely finished dead last, I still have to be proud of something!)  

All for a great cause -- supporting YL's mission to share the love of Christ with some high school/inner-city kids.  Sign me up again next year!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Go Jessica! Glad you had fun, I love the shirts!