Yesterday I ran into Melissa Hill at Gini Weir Florer's sip and see for baby Sutton. We spent some time talking about her family's life in one of Dallas' poorest neighborhoods and their call to reach out to their neighbors. And then today I open up the paper and the front page of the "Points" section has an article on her husband's and her ministry to South Dallas, Mercy Street. Very cool.
I especially love this quote by her husband Trey: "The suburban churches' typical involvement with the inner-city is to drive in and drive out ... not living among the people and sharing their lives and experiences. Our example is Christ, who vacated the perfection of heaven to live in the slums of our world, so that he might redeem a people for himself."
I totally agree that the most effective ministries find ways to live life among the people they try to reach ... which is why organizations like Young Life, Council for Life, Brother Bill's Helping Hand and Mercy Street are changing lives.
Check it out. http://www.dallasnews.com
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Thanks for visiting my blog and your sweet comment. It was fun talking to you and hope we see you again soon!
Post a Comment